Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Adoption of the Present

Best laid plans... When we began the process  of going to the Congo I thought I would blog or at lest keep some type of diary. But I was so exhausted that I would fall asleep with only a few words written down.

The first day was exciting and new. We met and hugged and began our life together. The first day and night went fairly well. The next day, Tuesday, January 15th, we traveled to see the judge that was part of the court decision on the adoption. He wanted to see the families that we're adopting. After leaving the judge we had a little time before we were to meet a very important person at the DGM which is the immigration department. But Jedeiah suddenly did not feel well and fever spiked. We decided to take him back to the orphanage. But his fever seemed to get worst very quickly. We decided to take him to the clinic. As we sat there the person who runs the orphanage said to me that this was the clinic Jedeiah went to when he came to the orphanage because he could not eat and now he was leaving and he was at the same clinic again. I am sure that must have brought back memories for him. They gave Jedeiah a shot and we got medicine for malaria and some antibiotics. We took him back to the orphanage to rest and went to DGM. After waiting a few hours we appeared before a very important and powerful man. He said a few words and we were done. I expressed gratitude and his trust to the one who runs the orphanage.
We went outside and we were waiting for our passports and Keliah got sick. Within 24 hours all four children were sick with fevers. So we put the prescription to work and got medicine for the other three children.
So four otherwise healthy kids are sick within 24 hours with high fevers. Discouragement turns to fear as our leader comes and explains this is the enemy not wanting these kids to leave. My thoughts quickly race to the Ephesians 6:12: "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places." Of course, he is right. But now I am full of fear and very scared. I have often been "back home" and have request from brothers or sisters requesting their greatest needs is for prayer. But now that was us.







We brought all the children inside and gathered for prayer. The children of the leader prayed for the children and we prayed. Tears filled my eyes as I cried out inside to the only one who could rescue and protect us. The same God who had rescued me from sin and death was the only one who could rescue us now and heal these precious children.
The pleads came from us for people to pray. My good friend, Bob Anderson, encouraged me with scriptures from 1 John 4:4-6: "Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 5 They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. 6 We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error." And Psalms 61:1-3 "Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; 2 from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, 3 for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy."
My prayers turned from fear of harm to fear to the God who created the universe and is in control of all things to have mercy upon us. I quickly took spiritual inventory and began confessing my sins and needing God to be close by. I was now in constant prayer for anything and everything. I guess that is exactly where we need to be. These kids were part of God's plan and we needed to pray as if they were. As we left Lubimbashi Jedeiah was very excited as if he knew exactly what this meant. I am sure the full extent of being adopted has not, but I think he thought, "this is my turn to leave and go on the avian to America."





No comments: