Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Adoption of the Past

As we are between Sacramento and Chicago flying at 35,000 feet and 500 miles an hour I am reflecting on the past. I am so blessed to have a loving family. If you want to see tears of joy ask my Mom about adopting me. The story of almost not getting to adopt because of the process and cost. And the miricle of things working out (God's providence).
The stories of coming home from the foster parents (who was the Curruth's who was my boss during high school) and when she tells of my brother, who was 6, says, "You can hold him first mommy and then I get to hold him."
The point is- I experienced agape, unconditional love and care from people who opened their home and life up. I have often been asked when people find out I am adopted did I ever want to find my birth parents. I usually respond to that question with, "Why?" Maybe now in my mid 40s I wonder about health history. Every time I fill out that part of the form at a doctor's office I put unknown. But outside of that I have never had a reason to need or want that. I am a Gregg. Jessie and Mary Ann, Jamey are my family. All of them and all the other Greggs and Mathews and Cox have accepted me into the family.
My adoption was always shared and known to me. I just pray that I can be as good on the other side as my mom and dad were to me. I know we will have some challenges with us being vanilla and Jedeiah and Keliah being chocolate. But I hope that helps to open up and share some of my adoption past and how that relates to my Adoption Present and Jedeiah and Keliah's adoption future.

No comments: